Friday 23 January 2015

Killer of Giants

I have stated that I am a solo'er and a lot of my experience earning is hitting the big numbers in the slayers in the different wildernesses. So this post is going to be about the level 13 Wilderness Gianthold. I am not going to talk about the dungeons or flagging or the raid as the dungeons will be a separate post and as I said I have not done a raid since the European service was brought back to turbine. Even in the European days I only managed a couple of raids with the guild I was in then. I am not covering the epic version in this just the heroic. And bonus points for those who thought Ozzy before the Wilderness.

Gianthold has 3 sets of giant camps and each camp has 3000 to slay, there are 20 explorers and 10 Rares. There are also two chests that are there whenever you get to the area they exist that will only appear when you complete certain tasks. Of the two chests one is locked and the other isn't, for the locked chest you need to kill a mindflayer which is not named and to me seems easy to slay. The second chest is set in an area where there are loads of barrels and crates, you have to smash a certain amount and then three dwarves appear and a chest, the toughest dwarf of the 3 dying unlocks the chest. I must admit at first I thought the chests might be random but after over 100 runs in Gianthold I realised they are there all the time. The odd thing is both chests are on the same run.

Is Someone Watching me?

Ready for a little Wander
So when I say runs what I mean I have three routes that allows me to keep a fairly level amount of slaying. When you have 3000 to slay of each type you really want to keep your amounts slain fairly equal, the reason being you can time an experience elixir which when you have 3 lots of 1,500 (as I had last night) you will pop over 75k of experience. So a lot of graft as you need to nail 4500 slays to make the target, I will be honest and slayer boosts are a real bonus in this sort of situation as it would take over 20 runs of EACH giant gang to get to the 1500s' but as the area is so big it is a lot of fun running around.

Wish someone would tell the giants about mouthwash
So are there a lot of giants in Gianthold? Bit of a yes and no answer. Yes there are giants but to me there is an awful lot of padding with Dwarves, Gnolls, Minotaurs and Orges added in the mix. Everyone should develop routes they are comfortable with, I have 3 routes that allow me to run through all the rares and covers all but one of the explorers with the last explorer (Madstone Crater) only being slightly off route for the first set of runs. Key to establishing good routes in any wilderness is amount of slays and rares for the minimum amount of time. Applies to any wilderness but especially where you have multiple types to slay, find where you can cover ground quickly and the occassional drop from a great height may be necessary to allow the best speed through the area. At the level people run Gianthold no one should really be without a featherfalling item.

Another Bites the Dust
Apart from the odd quirk with two chests not attached to a rare there is two rares who share a chest and I have to admit I was thrown by that. I have never seen just one of the rares appear it is either both or none, which when you are first starting out if you look at the map you will expect one or the other but in all the times I have run heroic with all the different characters I have never seen them unless they are together.

Gianthold is a big area that is best managed in shortish runs where you concentrate on each type of giant gang. However the experience for the slaying is a real bonus and I will spend a lot of time with all my characters hitting the targets and advancing my characters.

1 comment: