Sunday 24 May 2015

On A Storytellers Night

So I was going to hold this title till I go back to my Bard but that could be years away and I am sat down typing whilst listening to music associated with the title and I want to tell you all a story. Where does this story start? Well it starts with a book I read so many years ago call Swords and Deviltry by Fritz Leiber that feaured two very different yet two similar characters and their two "helpers" warlocks who set them on strange adventures. Well when we get Warlocks GrouseNinga will appear but right now I want to talk about Grousemouser.
Plenty of Books
 So this is a character I want to build based on one of the two characters in Leibers book, a dual weilding man of slight stature. I will play this for 3 lives so I can get a 36pt build and I have a collections of Tomes and equipment that will make him a fun to play. While both Scapel and Cat Claw are pointed weapons with slight curves it sort of fits nicely with a rapier and dagger combo. In the stories Mouser has a small amount of magic but is primarily a rogue and fighter. On the third life I will go more dex focused and certainly I am considering a halfing for the job. However first couple of lives I think I will using human to help ensure I get the balance right.
More Books
That is what I love about DDO, the fact that I can take a hero from a book and create a character to play that is close to the concept of the stories I grew up on. Howard, Leiber and Tolkien were authors that I grew up with. Brooks, Gemmell, Feist and Eddings are ones that have added to my taperstry as I have got older. I could go nuts and add more characters to my 25 toons but to be frank that would only cause me to never get out of Heroics in DDO. Anyway back to Mouser the biggest debate I am having is how to split his levels? 18 Fighter with a splash of 2 Rogue or focus more on the rogue? First couple of lives don't matter so a 18/2 followed by a 12/8 will give me a chance to see just how he will play.
Okay perhaps I need a Library
Nice thing is my pack mule (Bard) is loaded with Tomes and various other treats so I can ensure that the build will have some help early on. The only issue with creating Mouser is that it was originally my slot for my Iconic completionist but for some reason the only way I would make a Icon is so I can breeze through a favour run for turbine points which would be good if I didn't put my money where my mouth is. And the problem I always have just how will I add in the time to play him? I already have two TR'd heroes I currently run daily, one on his second life and the other on his 6th. Just dealing with those two is enough but I also have characters that get no game play like a level 16 bard and a level 22 wizard. I struggle to even get my level 26 monk out and he is guild leader.
And at least I have a bit of Healing
But my heart is set on adding a Mouser to Conan and Getafix, I would love to add a Garion and a Jax to the mix but I would never get them past life one. I already have 3 charcters parked at level 20 for reincarnation and adding more to the mix is not good (struggling to convince myself). One day I will finally get my characters going in a much more focused way but right now I am just a random player will no self control when it comes to playing just one character. One day I may be able to focus but right now all I want is to have a massive laugh playing for fun with a multitude of characters, after reincarnating 23 times amongst different toons I am all over the place. So next time you are sitting next to a camp fire talking about your heroes remember they all come with a story.

Grousemouser (well not yet but)

4 comments:

  1. Brilliant piece as always!

    But most of all I want to Comment and a Global Announcement on the fact that this brilliant player, who loves this game so much and spends hours upon hours figuring ways to make toons bigger, better, stronger, more powerful...Single-handedly (I can't say that I being his matey on the ship did much ;P)
    HAS MADE THE GUILD TO LEVEL 60 :-) :-) :-) on this day 24 May 2015......
    BRAVO,, KUDOS for your patience, your time and your brilliant mind in building characters that just keep getting better with every life you build.

    Looking forward to the next 60 Levels with you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have another 140 guild levels to max out but with just two of us it may take a while. Just glad we can stop pushing so hard on guild as 60 was the target for the experience bonus on the airship. Just need to increase things.

      And the storyteller is enjoying things but the song remains the same. x

      Delete
    2. You don't give yourself enough credit!
      It was only a year or so ago that this was a monumental event, a Global Announcement on the DDO site when a guild reached 60.. and they were prolly guilds that had 20, 30, 40 etc etc people in their guilds..
      Then they changed the announcements to Level 120 or something like that.
      That is not victory, that is easy, especially when one has 100 people in their guild!

      You have only yourself and little old me (and I really do not count for much, but we have fun and I couldn't/wouldn't do it without you!)

      I will always be there..... as long as you don't make me walk the plank ;P

      xoxox

      Delete
    3. The plank is reserved for those we don't like. Have to admit it is nice not to feel I have to get on and grind renown. I can now concentrate different days for different characters depending on my mood.

      xoxoxox

      Delete