Tuesday 20 October 2015

Keep Searching (the new game of Where's Arlos)

Todays title comes from the track by Del Shannon, there were so many great choices and my guildie sent me a few but this was the first one to come to mind so  will stick with it

So today I want to talk about the Lost Seekers Quest chain which is based in the Waterworks (can hear the groan from my guildie as she knows what will be mentioned in quest 2) and is spread over four quests, two at point where you meet Guard Tember and two at the other end of the waterworks. The first time you run it the Harbourmaster will also reward you providing you have been speaking to him both you run the quests. On elite this provides 45 coin lord favour so worthwhile to go back to if you never completed it on elite for higher ranked players. All four quests are considered long but I can usually do the 4 of them including the interconnecting run in the waterworks in well under an hour. That is me with a cleric and a rogue hireling on hard, cleric for obvious reasons and the rogue as there are a few traps and it is something I am well aware of have been caught in fire and acid traps.
Ooooo a door
So parts 1 and 2 are the Kobold's Den, first part is Clan Gnashtooth which has a fun optional, kill 60 kobolds, I say a fun optional as unless you are sneaking through the whole thing I don't see how you can do the quest without killing at least 60. The 60th is at the end just before you decide should you run the Spider optional or not. I would suggest you get the keys rather than picking locks to get round as the open lock skill required is relatively high as you go around the quest. The good thing about this quest is the volume of treasure, there are between 3 and 7 chests depending on what "rares" appear. A couple of the chests are easier to get to if you have a trapper (ddo slang for a rogue) with you but it can be a very profitable adventure for new players. There is one very nasty trap if you climb a ladder in the adventure that spits acid and as you encounter a kobold shaman when you get to the top with throwers attacking you as well at range it is worth being very careful. First person up the ladder needs to have good ranged attack if you are going to avoid getting seriously hurt. Old hands will breeze through this but soloing or new players need to allow for ranged attacks.
No clues to where he will be next time
When finishing the first quest do not recall as the entrance to the second part Rescuing Arlos is in front of you. And at this point we hear a groan from my guildie as a while back she was running this quest solo for the first time and thus did not know that Arlos is a very naughty boy and moves from cell to cell. Now there is 5 hours difference in time zones so we discovered that Arlos had hidden himself or at least I did at 1am whenI got a sms asking where Arlos is. So 5 minutes later in and had to find my guildie in the dungeon before heading back to Arlos and out. Now I don't do all the optionals, because of the fac whilst the rewards are okay the time consumed doing them is too much in my very humble opinion. The bedraggled prisoners are easy because they sit in the area Arlos is in, the Warden is easy because he comes charging at you and Chef is by the entrance/exit. As a tip Arlos has to be protected but he is the first of many amongst those who we have to protect who has a mind of his own and wants revenge. The moment he sights a Kobold he charges to the attack. If you are using hirelings worth assigning them to Arlos as he is one dumb *******
I am going to get my shoes wet
Now on to parts 3 and 4 which are at the other end of the waterworks. Part 3 Venn's Trail is one of those that can bug you till you get the hang of it. Once in you have to pull two levers to open side tunnels to futher levers which opens a gate in the floor which you drop through into water, although those with feather falling will quickly master the drop onto the walkways so you can get into combat straight away. The combat itself can be challenging if you run it on elite as the kobold shaman have a lot of lighning bolts. Worth using elemtantal protection if you are have the ability when running this quest, not just electric but the toon running the acid jets will need a bit of help.
Okay really wet feet
Part 4 is good fun as you tear around the dungeon looking for Venn, for those who haven't run this before don't expect a good outcome. The only thing you really need to know is that the best thing to do is open every cell till you find Venn. There are rooms that need to be explored and a coouple of optionals but I think this should be relatively easy. There are a couple of optionals which will not prove any difficulty to experienced players. I have done this quest in under 3 minutes before but I was lucky as I found "Venn" almost straight away and could progress the quest very quickly. There is an optional to release 5 prisoners which I will do only if i get 4 before I find Venn. If I find Venn before that I just finish as you can waste a lot of time searching if you are soloing.
Poor old Venn, someone draw a picture
Having a wet and wild time

GrouseMerlin

5 comments:

  1. It is possible to just look in the cells in part four, rather than opening all of them, but I always lose track of where I've searched. Opening the cells may be slower but it makes it quite obvious where you've already been and where you have not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the first time i ran it solo I thought no need to waste time opening cells. Think it took me about 40 minutes to finish but I did do every optional on the plus side

      Delete
    2. I agree with Geoff about opening the cells, it does help to let you know where you have been instead of running around in circles not knowing if you passed that area or not.
      That is why I like breaking crates, I always know where I have been! LOL..
      But in the case of "Arlos" I must have passed him 20 times and just did not see him ;-)

      Delete
    3. My Darling GrouseMerlin, What would I do without you?
      I would run around for an hour instead of 10 -15 minutes with you, LOL ;-P

      Nice piece as always Guildie..............
      (And still have no where to click "like"!!!!! It just stays the same from the last time..)

      Delete
    4. Always happy to run with you, in fact happy doesn't really cover it. Plus the hot tub is more fun with two toons.

      Delete