Tuesday 10 November 2015

The Greatest Cockney Rip Off

So firstly sorry for the quiet period but my Guildie was away and I decided to spend the time I was playing just farming keys and chocolate in the night revels event. I wanted to write something up and realised the action by players including myself during the events needs to be discussed because it is not how many players would want to spend their time. As to the title it is one of those punk tunes that you sort of wonder if you like or not but it is by the Cockney Rebels and as a Cockney (or at least a proper London resident) I can sort of get away with it.
Monies kept rolling in
There are two ways of handling an event like Night Revels, the first is to get your keys and do the quests which 90% of people would see as normal. The issue would always be of acquiring keys and that leads to those who farm keys to earn platinum from the auction house. Now I took the approach of farming keys to auction which is unusual for me but I found my cleric stormed the 16-20 area even though he is only level 16. I was earning keys and chocolate fairly quickly so checked the one character who would use the materials from the event and felt I would not be gaining much from it so selling seemed the best option.
Making bank
But here in lies the problem, I checked the going rate for keys and chocolate on the AH (auction house) took the top price and then set my buy out price at one third the price of the top charging auction. And I earned over 3m plat in 8 days, I am sure I could have earned more but I felt I would be over charging. I understand that many players do not have the time to farm keys and do the quests and some characters are not best suited to farming undead. So for me I got a chance to dust off my Cleric and drop comet falls (rather nice divine spell if you have never played div
ine casters) or use turn undead and keys and chocolate came along regularly.
Last day of the event and people still charing too much
The AH does highlight an issue though that especially new players will face and that is over charging. Seeing a +3 health belt going for 75k you think what was the seller thinking but then I realise that people trying to strengthen their character may not have access to multiple toons with a lot of excess kit. Nor do they have characters that can craft, my favourite crafted item is an underwater action helm with a yellow slot for a feather falling topaz... once fitted never removed. But I keep going to the AH looking for little bits and pieces especially when I have 2 or 3 reincarnations down in the lower levels as I tend to sell off things rather than crowd my inventory.

Yet even though I have millions in House K's bank and many of my toons with fat wallets I get aggrieved when I see some items in AH. There is a difference between making reasonable bank and trying to rip people off just sometimes feels like it is better to earn the equipment.

I hope all those who took part in Night Revels enjoyed it as much as I did and depending on how you played it I hope you got what you wanted out of it.

Grousehel

2 comments:

  1. Some of the prices on the AH are so weirdly high that I suspect they are not really there to sell at all. Maybe someone is transferring plat between accounts? Maybe someone doesn't have bank space and is storing items?

    I don''t know, but it seems pretty clear that some items are simply not really for sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geoff, I would love to believe that but the fact that I sold 60plus keys and several hundred chocolate for over 3m plat means there are people out there willing to spend plat to avoid grinding. Plat I can send via mail it takes a lot of mailings if it is a big amount but given the amount AH take as its cut I really can't see people doing that. But then I am VIP so some of issues others face I haven't a clue about.

      Delete